The Roots Development Grant is a new professional development initiative for choreographers, dancers and companies in Reading. There are two grants available in the lead up to Dance Reading in November aimed at inspiring and supporting the development of new dance performance, created by Reading based dancers for Reading audiences.
The grant is open to any dance maker regardless of age, experience, style or performance medium. You must be living or working in Reading or the surrounding area. If you are applying as a company please name the lead person.
Successful applicants for ROOTS will be awarded:
- A development grant of £300
- Free dance rehearsal space during October and November to develop your work (evenings)
- A mentoring package with a specialist who will be chosen in discussion with you
- Ongoing 121 support and guidance from Junction Dance
- A performance platform at the end of November to an invited audience and guest panel (you will be required to present something but it is expected to be work in progress and can take any format you choose).
To apply, please send a CV along with a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of A4 which includes
- a brief background on you and your work
- an explanation of the idea you wish to develop and its context
- a brief project plan explaining how you will make use of the support available
- how you plan to develop the project after the ROOTS support has ended
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- strength and clarity of the creative ideas
- vision for future development following ROOTS
- the potential for engaging Reading-based audiences (you don’t have to engage with the public during the period of the grant but you must explain how the idea you’re developing will ultimately engage audiences)
Application deadline 16th September 2016 at 5pm
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be contacted with the outcome of their application by 23rd September.
Junction Dance will support you to create a rehearsal schedule throughout October and November and arrange your mentoring sessions.
ROOTS Showcase Friday 25th November 8pm a St Bart’s Theatre, Reading.